The Alonzo Nelson Allen Cabin
Taylor Rd. and Colorado Highway 7, east of Allenspark
Colorado Inventory of Historic Places, 2014
Constructed in 1864 and burned in 1894, the Allen log cabin was the first building in the area, giving Allenspark its name. It served as seasonal shelter for Alonzo N. Allen (1820-1894), who prospected, hayed, and ran cattle on the site. The stone fireplace is all that remains.
Over the summers of 2012 and 2013 an archaeological survey of the Allen cabin site revealed charred logs from the burnt structure, along with a cache of Civil War era mining tools and artifacts. The Hilltop Guild is custodian of the site and the historic materials found there, which are displayed at the Kelley House.
The Bunce School
Colo. Hwy. 7, south of Allenspark
National Register 5/22/1986, 5BL.371
Constructed in 1888, the building is one of two log rural schoolhouses remaining in the county.
Built in 1888 by V.H. (Dick) Rowley, the school is an excellent example of the early educational structures in the high mountain areas of Colorado in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was named after J.H. Bunce, an early settler in the area. The school served the local communities of Raymond, Heathermeade and Peaceful Valley.
The Bunce School was granted an Historic Designation, May 22, 1986, and also has state and county historic designation. It is also recognized by the National Register.
In the spring of 1996, the members of Hilltop Guild purchased from the Allenspark Fire Protection District, the adjoining property and buildings of the Historic Bunce Schoolhouse. This rejoins property that once belonged to the Kelleys. The use of this building is controlled by a committee, the board and membership of the Hilltop Guild. It is currently serving as a museum and lending library.