The Hilltop Guild
Guild is… not a club, not a society, not a commercial venture, but a productive and creative association of residents returning the fruits of their labors to areas of need in the greater Allenspark community.
Started in the early 1930’s, the group began as an informal gathering of women from the area. This group continued to meet and grow, and in 1948 was officially organized by Grace Day, Mamie McAllister, Leona Trevarton, Vera Rubendall and Ethel White as the “Hilltop Guild”.
The corporation name of “Hilltop Guild” was recorded on May 17, 1954, with the Secretary of State’s Office and was signed by Eula McCollister, Secretary. Other directors name: Marie Estill, Mary Fry, Eva Hallburg, Isabelle Nisewander, Emma Wolter, Ethel White, Reva Wooley and Grace Yaeger.
On July 26, 1954, Mr. and Mrs. L.B. Kelley of St. Marys, Ohio, deeded their large log building to the Hilltop Guild, to be used as their meeting place. It was decided to name the building in their honor. Through the years, additions and improvements have been made to the original structure. One of the first repair jobs involved rebuilding the front porch and roof after a wind storm. The addition of the loom room, modernization of the kitchen, refinishing the hardwood floors, installation of indoor restroom facilities and improvement in the storage rooms are just a few of the projects undertaken through the intervening years. Kelley House is located at 18720 Highway 7, Allenspark CO.
The Allen Cabin
Hilltop Guild is the owner and caretaker of the site of the original Allen cabin. The fireplace and some of the foundation is still visible, protected by a fence and located in Pine Valley, about 2 miles west of Kelley House.
The Historic Bunce Schoolhouse
Built in 1888 by V.H. (Dick) Rowley, the Bunce school is an excellent example of the early educational structures in the high mountain areas of Colorado in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was named after J.H. Bunce, an early settler in the area. The school served the local communities of Raymond, Heathermeade and Peaceful Valley.
The Bunce School was granted an Historic Designation, May 22, 1986, and also has state and county historic designation. It is also recognized by the National Register.
In the spring of 1996, the members of Hilltop Guild purchased from the Allenspark Fire Protection District, the adjoining property and buildings of the Historic Bunce Schoolhouse. This rejoins property that once belonged to the Kelleys. The use of this building is controlled by a committee, the board and membership of the Hilltop Guild. It is currently serving as a museum and lending library.
Tax Exempt Status
Hilltop Guild is an IRS designated 501(c)(4). These organizations are generally civic leagues and other corporations operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare, or local associations of employees with membership limited to a designated company or people in a particular municipality or neighborhood, and with net earnings devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes.
Contributions to 501(c)(4) organizations are not deductible as charitable contributions for U.S. income tax.